Saturday, October 27, 2007

Unattended

Last night I saw The Darjeeling Limited. Owen Wilson stars as the eldest of three brothers who persuades his reluctant siblings to set out on a spiritual journey, by train, through India. Owen Wilson's head was bandaged throughout the movie because, we find out later, his character tried to kill himself by running his car into a hill. It was difficult to get the real Owen Wilson, who really tried to commit suicide, out of the equation. Apparently the making of the movie didn't bring the spiritual revelation that he needed in real life.

I wish Georgia and Willa and I could share a spiritual adventure. If only we were able to love each other. It seems like that would feel so good. The earthquake of Dolly's leaving buckled and ruptured our bleak but familiar family geography. Everything is gone.

I arrived at the theater early and waited on a bench directly under a gargantuan poster of John C. Reilly's naked torso and smiling face. An old woman, gripping her popcorn and drink, slumped beside me, and I wished I could take a photo of the three of us.

A middle-aged man on a double-date bought his tickets and strolled into the lobby with an empty popcorn bucket. Demanding a refill from the adolescent at concessions, he winked at his buddy and rejoined his companions. The teenagers rolled their eyes, I stood up, and later, when the movie was over and I walked toward the back exit, it felt a bit adventurous. A forgotten threshold of concrete and black paint, unattended and liminal. Neither here nor there.

Then? I stepped through, to the other side.

3 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Melina said...

Funny that you wrote this. I want to see this movie but I've been so sceptical with both my mom (who has 7 siblings) and John (who has 2) about how they deal with their brothers and sisters.

I've never had any. I CHOSE not to have any...my parents were on the fence and they used my plea for not wanting to share them as a reason.

In my mind brothers and sisters are people who know you best,people you can lean on. It's a wistful feeling to have siblings now; however, my mind's view never seems to stack up to what I would want it to be.

If I had a sibling, he/she would probably hate me because I would try to tie our identies together in some way.

It's very strange not have siblings. It's also a relief.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Interesting... The "missing" also has something to do with shared memory, I think. I read The Tipping Point recently (have you read it? It's good -makes you see things in new ways.) Malcolm Gladwell talks about shared memory, and how we as individuals can only remember so much. (This is very paraphrased.)We use each others' memories as part of our own, so when we lose someone, we lose some of our memory. I think that's one reason that loss is so devastating. Part of the memory of our self leaves. Anyway, I liked the movie. Visually it was great. The colors!! (I'm a Wes Anderson fan. I love The Royal Tenenbaums.)

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I didn't read the Tipping Point but it sounds interesting, I'll pick it up. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my absolute favorite movies :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home