Friday, February 16, 2007

Brave New Worlds

I have acquired a passion for chocolate recently, which seems kinda strange, as I've never been one of those people who craves chocolate. It must have something to do with the drugs ... caffeine, or maybe it's the released endorphins or something. Probably I have brain damage that caused extreme personality changes.

AJ claims I always go toward worst-case scenarios first. For example, on Grammy night when she messaged me that Wyclef looked horrible, I immediately declared that he was likely infected with the AIDS virus. This seemed reasonable to me, but obviously hysterical to AJ. "Hahahahaha! I doubt wyclef has aids mom. Maybe he didn't get a lot of sleep." Since then I have begun receiving text messages along these lines: "I had bags under my eyes when I woke up. I think I might have aids."

I heard a story on the radio, told by a woman whose mother had a stroke which caused her personality to reverse from introverted and conservative to wild and crazy. The daughter was appalled when her mother began a habit of loudly singing in public, which she had never done before, talking to strangers and generally living her life in an entirely new and outrageous, for her, way.

Isn't that interesting? It reminds me of people who go to extremes to experience reality in new ways, like trepanation. It also brings Dolly to mind, who, after recovering from a stroke, refuses to wear a bra. And, with the effects of Alzheimers, has become a totally new person.

We are so sure that things don't change, that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks," but that's just social conditioning. Everything is changing. My personality. Your view of the world. The way we see, our thoughts and how we process them... our ability to hold on to "the way things are."

I'm trying to experience fully the act of "letting go". And if that includes chocolate, so be it. I can handle it.

4 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

today during my routine morning shower, i used a new shaving cream, which to my surprise, caused red itchy bumps to appear up and down my legs, but on second thought, i'm pretty sure its aids.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Hmmm... Well yes, it probably is. There is a slight chance it's something else, but probably aids. Go eat chocolate.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Have your chocolate and enjoy! Just don't have "unprotected" chocolate. Can't have you ending up like ol' Wyclef, now can we?

Hope you are well, MJ. I've fallen off the "commentin' map" of late but still care what's going on with you.

Best to you!
Ryan

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Best Ryan!

Protected chocolate just isn't as good, ya know!

The ebb and flow of this blogging thing is unpredictable, isn't it? I'm not as involved either, and feel the need to do more writing off-blog. Apparently there's still some evolution to happen here though, cause I keep on keepin' on, however uninspired it feels at times.

This blog seems like a big old house, and the door's always unlocked and you can come in and crash anytime... and raid the refrigerator... and hell, wake me up and I'll have a beer with you.

I'm glad you're still around, BR, and I still care what's going on with you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home