Saturday, May 20, 2006

One Sentence Can Make All the Difference

One sentence can make all the difference. That revelation, which stopped me in my tracks when I was fifteen years old, occurred on the fateful day my boyfriend wrote these six words:
"Please let's don't fight no more."
Struggling with the self-realization that my estimation of a good human being had immediately taken a nose-dive due solely to their (mis)use of the English language was disturbing. What kind of person was I? After all, he was still cute as hell. He still had grease under his fingernails from working on cars, he bought me presents, he adored me and he was polite, obviously. But the moment those crumpled words on 3-holed lined wide-ruled paper hit my eyes, he was gone.

Well, not really gone. He is the star of my reoccurring 'rejection dreams', never seeing me when I approach or in other versions ducking away to avoid me, but I strangely always find myself glad to see him in those dream encounters. I am disappointed at his lack of interest. Funny he has existed in my dreams all these years. He still lives in the town where we grew up, and Dolly runs into him now and again, always telling me how friendly he is and good-looking. Weird, huh? I don't imagine he writes much anymore as he never had much need of it.

Later I married a man simply because he wrote me a poem. Twirl a few clever words around in mid-air and like magic... I'm mesmerized! I believe the verse included these words:
"I love you MJ
I wish you could see
exactly what you mean to me"
Perhaps the high school commencement program on which it was scrawled, dug out from under the seat of my car parked in a cemetery, was what did it. Quality parchment can lend dignity to even the simplest of rhymes. This boy was cute too, but the presents and the adoring part went missing. Well, you can't have everything, now can you?

I was reading Jonathan Lethem last night and came across these words:
"Conspiracies are a version of Tourette's syndrome, the making and tracing of unexpected connections a kind of touchiness, an expression of the yearning to touch the world, kiss it all over with theories, pull it close. Like Tourette's, all conspiracies are ultimately solipsistic, sufferer or conspirator or theorist overrating his centrality and forever rehearsing a traumatic delight in reaction, attachment and causality, in roads out from the Rome of self."
Immediately I was struck down. Head over heels. One never knows what words may appear to move one to deep passion. Go figure.
"Touching touching. Counting counting. Thinking thinking. Mentioning mentioning Tourette's. It's sort of like talking about telephones over the telephone, or mailing letters describing the location of various mailboxes. Or like a tugboater whose favorite anecdote concerns actual tugboats."
Words. How they are strung together. How they mix-and-match, jump, swing, reverse plunge rise scream and die. Move over Haruki Murakami. Any man who has me dreaming of sex with a character with Tourette's has my heart. Totally.

What if my high school suitor had written these words:
Come. Eat Count Chocula with me, for the day is young and you are hungry
Or how about this sentence:
Girl beauty I give
your love back a thousand-fold
Hell, we would probably be raising thirteen children on a dirt-farm littered with cars up on blocks. We would be in heaven.

7 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new here. I have been strolling through your previous posts. I am Georgia's son. POV changes make life. You have taught me things. Georgia left here yesterday. She came to me to see her new grandchild. We talked about the family. Superficial. I am well removed. Good? I don't know. I seem to miss the ghosts of you all. Have we ever really met? I believe that I am the last to learn of your mother's illness. That was hard. We joked about our own forgetfullness.

"History of ages past unelightened shadows cast the crying of humanity..." -Donovan

Thanks.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I feel that we have met, with or without our consent. And sometimes I long for those ghosts, too.

I was surprised to find you here this morning. You threw me off... a good thing, I think.

Welcome.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I like this--a lot.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Are you ok Best Ryan? Sometimes I worry about you.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

That's ok, MJ. Sometimes I worry about me too ;-)

All's fine. Little bit of "writer's block"--whatever that means.

Hope you are well and looking forward to Florida.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Yes! I am looking forward to Florida. Veronica keeps telling me "get ready to hold onto your seat belt," whatever that means (-; We were about neck-and-neck hell-raisers in high school... but now? She wins. No contest. I'd better start training.

And I'm looking forward to Veronica prying into my life, like a good friend. Love means being able to intrude and give advice (I never thought I'd find myself saying that), even if it's bad advice. It means they care.

So, I'm glad you liked this post. I was hoping you would read it. And thanks for your comments. It's like finding an easter egg dyed deep blue, or an ancient map that leads to buried treasure, or... something.

Sincerely,
MJ

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

What is better than an easter egg dyed deep blue? You make me blush... Ok, I'm not really a blusher, but...

Know that I always visit and always enjoy. I'm just a shitty commenter.

Best,
Ryan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home