Monday, April 17, 2006

Almost

I almost succeeded in writing a post each day of spring break. Today is my last, and I gotta say, I have been questioning this blogging thing again, and the evolution of my motivation in the past couple of years. Maybe I've just bored myself with all the blah blah blah of the past week, thinking it would be good discipline to make myself write even if the inspiration wasn't there.

I dunno, maybe like Cookie I'm using this blog as an escape from real life. I've always had trouble discerning the difference between "real life" and whatever it is that people say isn't "real life". Like when adults said, "College is not real life," I couldn't understand their reasoning. It always seemed real to me. What makes one environment "real" and another "unreal"? I guess it just depends on the individual and their motivation. And what is my motivation for blogging?

It's been exactly two months since my divorce, and I know I've gotta take some time to adjust, enjoy being alone and be kind to myself. But when does that transition into "a spinster living alone with 23 cats cooking with a hotplate"? Grey Gardens comes to mind as a potentially more upbeat version of my future.

Image hosting by Photobucket


But here I go, thinking too much again. I can see that the sun is shining behind my curtain. I think I will step out into it.

8 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger gary j. introne said...

Please drop me a note. njabate@aol.com

http://garyjin.blogspot.com

Also, as for your personal situation, don't compare yourself to silly media situations (like Grey Gardens, let's say) - those are manipulative and corrosive things which will do you no good. You have to remove all of that from your thinking and recognize yourself and your personal motivations for what they are. Your own impulse, your own energy.

Gary Introne

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Melina said...

You'll never be a spinster...there's too much life in you.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger MJ said...

The spinster thing was just silly humor.Thanks, M. You too!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Cookie, it's so good to hear from you! How is life? Yea, I guess I won't be a spinster after all. Turns out it's just that time of month, sister.I for one am tired of being kicked around by that cycle.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger MJ said...

mmm... goat cheese

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

Hey lady :) Keep hanging in there. Maybe forcing yourself to write when you don't feel any motivation will be like forcing yourself to smile when you're in a bad mood.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Eryn - Yea, I never could quite figure that one out. "Smile!!! Be happy!!!" It sounds like "Dolly wisdom" to me, like "Play the piano! You'll be the life of the party!" Never any good at faking it, I still tell my students to, "Fake it till you make it." But then, I am also prone to tell them, "Don't tell me how rocky the waters are, just bring in the ship."

I am actually quite cheery, thank you, considering the world seems to be a big mess and my job is an energy-sucking cog in the system of the destroyer. (-:

But I have hope, girl. Do you?

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't the trouble with blogging that everyone is so busy talking and writing in their own little blog bubble, that they don't take the time to read the thoughtful words of others? What inspirational blogs do you read?

(and coming from someone who also likes to write, I enjoy your writing style and I think your character and feelings really strike a cord)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home