Sunday, March 26, 2006

Outpouring Thoughts

outpouring thoughts, we'll call them
x y and z
gush warm liquid rem
slow. soft. sweet.

easy first time
predictable spurts
then majestic sky-writing geisers
(look up!)
spell y-o-u
and
m-e.

Crowds form. Carrying coolers and aluminum folding chairs
they pop open cans of cold beer
strip down to pure dna
and carried away by the tide of festivities
Beget a chain of lakes, a thousand branches, a million streams, frothing rivers churning waterways deep frigid oceans, immense currents great psunamis gale force winds tidal waves and the remotest unseen storms

in your quiet world
swimming, you plumb the depths
disappearing
reappearing
merging with other molecules
joining in the most holy of ways
gurgling sputtering drooling peeing spraying pouring mixing sweat, seeping tears, vomiting blood gently swirled with one drop of nectar pressed from the petals of ten thousand roses.

Now go ahead. Drink it.

6 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger gary j. introne said...

Hmmm. I found myself enjoying your posts very much, Interesting tidbits/this and that. I'll keep watching, also to see the photos grow.
Maybe check out http://garyjin.blogspot.com

Has photos too, plenty of text, and more.

Thanks. gary

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Oh, MJ. You are a talent.

I always enjoy the "verse." Perfectly base and beautiful.

I wonder if you've read much Wm. Matthews or Raymond Carver? For me, this is reminiscent.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Thank you, Best Ryan. (Somehow in my mind your closing has become your name. Sorry. It just happened.) "Base" and "beautiful"... yes, I like that description. I'm afraid I'm not as well-read as you. I don't believe I've read any Wm. Matthews and very little Carver. What, of their writings, are your favorites? I love recommendations!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Melina said...

Oh you should read Carver...Cathedral is good!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure you are far better read than I am. I just tend to be all over the map at times...I feel like I haven't read in years.

William Matthews: I rec. Sleek for the Long Flight, Time & Money, and After All.

Carver is far better known for his short stories than for his poetry. Both are just exceptional. I would rank his story "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" in my top 10 of all time. (Some scholars insist that it is not a short story at all--but then you get into the bullshit of "what is art..poetry...etc.")

Melina is right--Cathedral is very good (all short stories). "Fires" and "No Heroics, Please" offer a good mix of his writing--includes essays and poetry.

Happy reading.

Best Ryan

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Hello, Best Ryan. I have been sick this weekend. That sucked. Thank you for the recommendations! In five days I will be on spring break (just in time to prevent total mental breakdown, as usual), and will go looking for Carver and Matthews. I can't wait to meet them. Of course AJ will be home (and you know she is a force to be reckoned with) so I may not have a lot of free time for reading...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home