Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Moving Day for AJ

AJ, in her inimitable way moved yesterday with her flock of friends, panting up and down five flights of stairs. The group included the boy that she befriended from an apartment downstairs who, when she locked herself out of her apartment a while back, nobly climbed the fire escape (with many nervous neighborhood spectators peering up from the sidewalk below) and climbed through the window. The group, which also included a drummer with a van and a bartender who is one of AJ's best friends, spent the afternoon lugging her belongings downtown.

These kids are creatures of the night, all their waking hours spent in the dark, working at clubs, then socializing after, and finally disappearing into the streets, headed for sleep. Yesterday they were surprised to see one anothers' faces in midday. "You look so much different in the daytime," they marveled!

Several friends have given AJ keys, all opening their apartments to her, and she will divide her time between them until the 15th, when she hopes to have enough money for rent and a down-payment. She called last night after they were finished, and she sounded happy, glad to have a new beginning.

New beginnings are good.

2 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I wonder if I will be as good with Em when he is grown. In these limited views you two seem VERY good together. I fear that I won't even allow the Boy a childhood--between my stifling love and immeasurable fear for him--and here you have a delightful young adult who apparently embodies all that is good about life. I can only hope I will be wise and strong enough to follow your example.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger MJ said...

I don't know, Ryan. I think I pretty much suck as a parent. AJ is delightful, but through no expert mothering. She just is, and has been since birth. Em sounds delightful also (another force to be reckoned with!), and I suspect that nothing you do can change that.

Sometimes we fancy ourselves so all-powerful as parents, don't we? But we are all just bumbling through this, we have had no rehearsals and most of the advice we get is bad.

The Boy has a father who will always whisper poetry to him. There is no one like you, the perfect father for Em. I am certain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home