Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Fuck You, Whitey

A day off was just what I needed yesterday. I stayed in bed until noon with Haruki Murakami, who is the love of my life at the moment. I went out only to get supplies (tapioca and Grizzly Man). The tapioca felt like childhood and Dolly, and Grizzly Man woke me up in the night with a troubled feeling. Maybe I should have watched Waiting again, which Huck and I laughed at the night before. I love stupid innane profane idiotic movies. That movie would not have been nearly as funny without the wiggers, and I loved the scene where the black "sage" told them they were one-dimensional and they called him "whitey".

But Grizzly Man! I need to digest it some more (no pun intended), but this morning I realize that I was surprisingly unaffected by Treadwell's death. He did become a bear in my mind I guess, because when the deal came down, his death seemed kinda "right". The question of whether he was protecting the bears or doing them harm is important but not dealt with heavy-handedly by Herzog, which creates much more depth. I also found it interesting that Herzog included himself in the film, even giving advice in one scene. Well, it must have affected me somehow if I woke up in the night with Treadwell on my mind. The juxtaposition of a cruel violent world where bears kill dispassionately to survive and Treadwell's idealized version where all creatures can live in harmony is dissonant, and that may be what woke me up.

It's sort of like families. In theory (or in movies) we can all get along, but in reality it's blood and gore. Or like marriage. 65% of the people who do it end up divorced, but we still think it's the "right" thing to do. It's all the biology of procreation as Auggie might say. Marriage provides easy access to sex. Sex makes the world go round. Not civilization. Maybe Treadwell was just another wigger. So fuck you, whitey.

3 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

"Marriage provides easy access to sex." Interesting theory. I've read of this phenomenon. Read of it only.

Wholly unfair of me to weigh in on Treadwell as I've seen only snippets of the movie; but from what I DID see, I found nothing about him that was not simply annoying to the nth degree. I felt no compassion for him and was bothered (some) that I felt nothing resembling sympathy over his demise. He managed to set up some beautiful shots but, for me, that was it. Perhaps I'd do better to keep my mouth shut and refrain from opinion until I've actually seen the movie? ;-)

I was, though, deeply intrigued by Herzog's role in the film- if for nothing else, tht he had a role at all. Don't recall seeing that done before.

Gotta love Richard Thompson's score though, eh?

Hoep you are holding up as well as can be expected.

Ryan

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Ryan, you are so funny. Regarding the easy access to sex in marriage, you must be the exception to the rule! Well... just cling to those happy memories of your incredible smorgasbord of pre-married sex!

Grizzly Man: I felt like she should have kept the tape. You?

And "documentary" filmmaking: What do you think of Ross McElwee? (Sherman's March, Time Indefinite)?

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Yea, I can see that.

I was thinking of Treadwell the opposite way, as an "outsider", even to himself ("Timothy Treadwell is not gay!") who was hanging on by a string, desiring acceptance from humans so badly that he created a fantasy that the bears "accepted" him, and he was their "protector".

Well... death "accepted" him, didn't it? No outsiders there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home