Thursday, December 15, 2005

Note to Self

My birthday was yesterday, and (is this related?) lately I have taken to listening to The Moody Blues in the morning before work, especially their song You and I, which I follow with Neil Young's plaintive song by the same name.
Open up your eyes see a lifetime fly
Open up and let the light back in
In my i tunes alphabetized library suddenly songs of the same name have appeared side-by-side. I wonder if these songs are dangerous, with their connected messages and winding paths to places off-limits. I never know until it's too late. I add things to the "do not do" list after the damage is done these days. 1. Don't sort through old photographs. 2. Don't drink too much wine 3. Don't pressure son to buy pot. HA! 4. Don't isolate yourself compulsively. 5. 6. 7.

Following modern folk wisdom which I internally pre-ridicule I "get out and do things". Go to dinner. Call a friend. Tidy up.

What will be our last thought, 
Do you think it's coming soon,
Will it be of comfort 
Or the pain of a burning wound? 

All we are trying to say 
Is we are all we've got. 
You and me just cannot fail 
If we never, never stop. 

4 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

A belated Happy, Happy to you.

Ryan

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Thanks, Ryan. Dolly forgot my birthday this year for the first time. I admit, the kid in me felt a little sorry for myself, but mostly I'm sad because I am certain she has altzheimers. And Willa is in denial, thinks she needs vitamins. It's like the elastic, so resilient and tight between us (mother and daughter!) is stretched out and I have to let her go.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I am sorry. It is a sad thing all the way 'round. And yet you can still make others around you laugh in the face of such a situation (I am sure it's not funny to most, but the thought of Willa suggesting vitamins are the answer made me laugh out loud--much like your story of AJ being convinced she was retarded). My birthday too was spent alone this year. I was shocked at myself that it made me sad. I honestly thrive on that solitude. Not so this time.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

oh! I'm sorry I missed your birthday :( I've been slacking on the blog-reading front. You should poke me sometimes and remind me that I have made committments!

Happy belated birthday, MJ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home