Saturday, November 12, 2005

Saturday Morning Ramble

I love Saturday mornings because I can wake up anytime I want, which is early but by choice, and come back to bed with coffee and read political blogs and hate Bush and think about whatever I want and take my time. Thinking is a luxury when you are working a demanding 9 to 5-type job, especially one that gives you no positive feedback whatsoever. Yesterday an understanding word from a colleague reminded me that a morsel of kindness can go a long way. It is hard to imagine that the white men (Of course! Sublic pcools are just a microcosm of the government) who "administer" us could be any more clueless. They have a positive and hard-working staff who maintain a great atmosphere in the pcool because they genuinely care about the students. The administration shows their distrust of the teachers through constant surveillance and monitoring of time. God help me.

But I don't need to think about hell this morning. I can shove it to the back of my mind along with student loans, $885 of rear-end damage to my car and the effects of steroids. That's right. I can choose to think about let's say... painting my bedroom floor custard yellow with a wine border (perhaps while drinking wine) or putting tacky contact paper on the counter-top until I teach myself how to tile. What about swimming? That seems like a good idea! And I want to walk the river trail to the zoo, just saunter around and gaze at all the animals. I love that Mark Kozelek lyric, "All the wonderous animals, roamin' round the earth". Is it true that all conversations inevitably turn to Mark Kozelek?

But then, there is the unfortunate reality of captivity that I, the gazer, must face while "enjoying" the zoo. Which reminds me again that I've pretty much had it with Christians and their "God gave us dominion over the earth and all of the creatures on it" attitude. I really hate it that people can't see that they hold an unquestioned belief system simply because other people "believe" it, and that the more people jump on, the more it becomes "true". People are stupid and stubborn (Present company excluded, kids. One of my goals is to like myself, so I'm gonna cut you and me some slack here). I am disgusted with political polls that go quickly up and down, because it so glaringly shows that people have put no thought into their allegiances, weren't educated about the person they supported so vehemently, probably just took the pastor's word for it that God wanted that white man with the little boy haircut to win. Whatever momentary wind blows, they change their mind. No research, no educated opinion. Well, now that Bush's approval rating has hit an all-time low and it's pretty obvious that his administration is corrupt, maybe people will start jumping off the uppity Christian bandwagon and think for themselves. Live in sin again! Be confused and honest!

The movie whore is hankering to see Pride and Prejudice. Yes, I can feel the need for a "period piece" marathon in the near future, full of Mr Darcy's and Heathcliffs and strong "little" women. Life is pretty much open. I can do whatever I want.

2 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Hey, it's ok, I've been thinking about you, too. Everybody has been going through strange times, I think.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Yea, and now Bush with his "revision of history" bullshit. It does wear you down. Is it silly to hold out hope that he is done?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home