Sunday, November 06, 2005

Movie Whore Bed Blogging

So here I am in bed again under my new duvet cover enjoying tacky randomly-hung purple Christmas tree lights, still bent like an accordian from the box, and empty picture frames waiting to be filled and coffee with way too much fat-free creamer brewed in the new fancy thermos coffee maker that turns itself off. I did not visit Dolly, as Veronica my divorce trainer directed, but stubbornly spent the weekend alone, choosing movies as company. Movies never let you down. As I have said before (to paraphrase John Waters) I can find something I like in any movie. And Shopgirl, my movie of choice yesterday, was no exception.

In fact, it was wonderful. First of all, Jason Schwartzman alone is reason enough to see the movie. I loved him in Rushmore and even more in I Heart Huckabees. And of course Slackers! Always wacky and loveable and flawed, I will see a movie simply because he is in it. Visually Claire Danes created a quiet beauty that doesn't happen in real life. Pauses in conversation, uncomfortable moments can be beautiful to behold in movies, but in real life they create a chaos of misunderstanding. In movies, I desire the undefined, the spaces between.

The best surprise in the movie was that the father of AJ's twins, Mark Kozelek, has a small acting part (sort of, without much charisma). He plays a musician who invites Jason Schwartzman to tour with the band, and he is the person who helps Schwartzman learn to be better at "love", in a round-about way. There are songs from Sun Kil Moon on the soundtrack and at one point we see Kozelek working out song lyrics on the tour bus. I texted AJ immediately after the movie to tell her, and her reply? "My babydaddy is such a good actor!"

The movie reminded me that gloves are beautiful. Aren't they? Breakfast at Tiffany's, Cinderella, strippers, James Bond... Claire Dane's character, Mirabella, reminded me that slowly pulling on a long black glove can be a thing of beauty. What else. A message? Take your medication. Life can't make up for it! There.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home