Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Banned Books=Good Books

Thanks to Americablog, which has lately become my #1 source for news, I have been made aware that several of my favorite books (if I had favorites) are on a far-right religious fanatics' "banned list"! Here's the list:

1. All the Pretty Horses
2. Animal Dreams
3. The Awakening
4. The Bean Trees
5. Beloved
6. Black Boy
7. Fallen Angels
8. The Hot Zone
9. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
10. Lords of Discipline
11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
12. Song of Solomon
13. Stotan
14. This Boy’s Life

It seems that remaining stupid is a major goal of religious fanatics.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Melina said...

that is amazing...amazingly ignorant. This Boy's Life is one of my all time favorite books. It got me through some tough childhood moments and I wrote to Tobias Wolff and thanked him for writing it when I was in middle school and he wrote me back. It made me love him even more.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Hey Miss Melina, you took a big break, eh? I loved the image of you sleeping with your father's prosthesis.

That's very cool that Tobias Wolff wrote you back. Mo wrote Tim O'Brien once when she was in high school but he didn't write her back. It was disappointing.

Have you read Old School?
I wonder if he'd write back if you wrote him now....

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I read Old School and live very near the school that he's writing about. The big break is over...I had some soul searching to do, it was right where I thought it was.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

I think that the religious fanatics like to remain uneducated, because if they really knew what was going on they might realize that devoting every waking moment of their lives to an un-seeable deity is somewhat silly. In my humble opinion.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger MJ said...

What did you discover when you searched your soul? That you are smarter than you thought?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home