Thursday, June 30, 2005

Florida Postcards

First there were palm trees, and alligators.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Veronica's lanai,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


and dolphins swam alongside our boat to the Keys.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Then streets of Key West!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


to the very end.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Our hotel bar and the blue blue ocean.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Parasailing at six hundred feet, Veronica and I vowed to do this every year. We floated over the blue indifferent water and were lulled into thinking this was forever. Then drifting in the pool, Veronica did crosswords and praised me when I, eyes closed, halfheartedly helped.

Later the carnival of Key West absorbed us. Water sprayed our hot faces in the open bar and we sat relaxed drinking daiquiris as the drag queens, the addicts, the rich, the deluded, the undecided passed in their nightly procession. The Duval Crawl. Key lime martinis. Sandals. Tourists snapping a picture. Chickens on the street. Parades. A display of quirkiness for the tourists satisfies us that we are in the authentic Key West.

The evening before I leave a vivid double rainbow arcs in the sky over Naples. The pier is lined with fishermen and a young man reels in a big one. People gather round as his toil becomes a community effort. Boys run for glasses of water to douse him and men shout directives as he lowers his rod and reels in yards and yards of line. A half hour later he has passed the job to someone else, and men begin to be the first to see the catch. "It's a manta ray!" "It's a shark!" "It's about 10 feet." "It's 6 feet." "You snagged it in the tail."

The white beaches of Naples catch me off guard, and I am a beach bum again. A beach bum among the millionaires of Naples, whose yachts are parked outside their mansions on their own private waterways. My tiny dream beach shack would cost 3 million dollars here. Life as we know it can't go on. How can the world support the rich? I am attracted to the mixed colors of the guys on the pier, some speaking Spanish and all treating each other like brothers.

The day I left Veronica and I were sober, aloof, like all last days.

5 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Yea, it was a little bumpy coming back, but here I am. I was so glad to see your name on the message on my phone! Sounds like you are looking for another job? I got a call offering me job teaching higher-level students, and I'm weighing the pros and cons. They called before I left, so maybe they found another teacher already. God! I can't even bring myself to call them!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

sounds like you had a great time :) and all of the pictures are gorgeous--you must have one hell of a camera in your phone!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Eryn,
I've got a Sony Ericsson T-610, which has crappy reception, but I like the camera, very funky. And it does some psychedelic shit sometimes. But it's going, I can tell. The joy stick isn't working right and I wanna get maybe a Nokia flip phone, or a TREO 650...or...

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Welcome home! Glad you are back. I sure hope you enjoyed yourself.

Naples is one of my dreams as well. Likewise, the homes I chose were between 3-5 mil. I would love to make it a reality someday.

Looking forward to some tales of your travels.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Naples is SO beautiful, but also upscale and old (I didn't see many young people there at all), which is a bit worrisome. I remember long ago a trailer park in Fla called "Trails End", filled with retirees. Is Naples the upscale version of the end of the road, a place to die in style? Holy Shit! I think I have an aversion to old people right now. I gotta deal with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home