Sunday, May 29, 2005

Like Snow-Fuckin-White

It is never a good idea to go back to bed after you have already gotten up and eaten breakfast. This morning found me at the home of one of my most misbehaved students, listening to his father make wedding plans for their daughter. The father (who had an uncanny resemblance to a blonde surfer from Dogtown) was planning a wedding dinner that included their dog, which he was going to butcher himself. This was to be a treat for all of the guests that he hated. I laughed conspiratorially with him, which troubled me even in my sleep.

Suddenly I was driving Mo and AJ to NYC in a snowstorm and we ended up stopping in a small town where we made our way to a second-story shop/dance studio/restaurant. Mo immediately collapsed to the floor, saying she was "SO TIRED" and one of her friends rushed over and caringly whisked her away.

The place was very hippy/drug paraphenalia-ish, and I sat on the floor watching a naked girl on a scaffold put a new poster on the wall. I was surprised to discover that I was naked too, and since there were clothes scattered on the hardwood floor, I began to drag some toward me. I slipped on some sweats, wondering who they belonged to, and decided that this Grateful Dead-looking tribe probably shared their clothing. I took an extra sweatshirt with me.

I found AJ, who led me into a small adjacent room to tell me something important...and then I woke up, apparently. So on to "reality".

Here I am with four days off (one down and counting). Oh, the pressure for us all on a holiday weekend to have fun, go on a vacation, somewhere, something, collect memories. I am happy to be in the city when everyone else has rushed off. It is a different perspective, an empty view of the place, tranquil and quiet and delightfully lonely.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours in the gardens, taking pictures and sitting by the ponds with my eyes closed. The day was sunny and rainy, first dark clouds then white puffy clouds, then windy followed by calm and quiet. Luscious. The flowers were surreal and the animals frolicked around me like equals. I felt like Snow-Fuckin-White.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

9 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I like this.

I Hope you continue to relax and enjoy your time off. Not long until Florida.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Thanks, Ryan. Did I say I have four days off in my post? I meant three, so I have about a hundred student booklets to correct tomorrow. Holy Shit!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Melina said...

The photos are gorgeous...and I left student grading stuff until right now, and as it turned out, I left half of that which I need to grade sitting on my desk. It must have been a subconcious effort to have a good weekend.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Good move! I'm still doing some torturous procrastinating.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Like Dolly used to say, "Misery loves company."

I didn't get the grading done. Must come up with alternate plan! (in the morning)

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

you have such beautiful flowers.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Yes! This flower thing just sort of overtook me. I think it's a gift to keep me sane. Beauty.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Hey Cookie, I still can't leave comments at your blog.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger focus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home