Friday, April 22, 2005

Let's Talk about the Weather

Alrighty then. I'm back. And Friday came none too soon. What a busy week, huh?

I wonder what you all are doing RIGHT NOW. Are you driving past a cornfield, headed for the gym, or are you half way home carrying visions of crazy students in your mind? Are you in a cubicle somewhere creating deep poetry, elevated brooding, lonely meanderings, beautiful kindnesses? Do you miss your boyfriend? Oh! Are you wishing you were at a bar with an ice cold draught in front of you and a hefty shot of Woodford slightly to the left of it? Yes. I can see that.

Me? I am in my little room that overlooks the side yard, and it has been raining for hours. I can see the picnic table out there, and I hear the birds. They like the rain. There is snow in the forecast. Some places nearby may get 12 inches. Strange and interesting weather. I used to hate talking about the weather, but I have learned to appreciate the gentle way it allows interaction with people with whom I may not find any other commonality. I like to talk about the weather with old men, especially farmers.

See any good movies lately? (All conversations inevitably turn to movies.) I rented Meet the Fockers, and I did laugh out loud several times. Quite a high-powered cast for a silly comedy. Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand were fun. And yes, I did laugh when the foreskin flew into the fondue.

What about that Colin Powell? He's getting bold, eh? And what about that helicopter video all over the news? Let's get fired up about those insurgents, folks, and invade somebody else. Let's kill some foreigners! Oh! And what about all of the talk about the environment? Global warming? PHHHHTT! (Imagine spit flying.) I've forgotten about the pope already. I do, however, remember the visual of black smoke coming out of a pipe. Wow.

I have no plans for the weekend. Do you? I keep thinking I will clean the backroom where the plumbing nightmare occurred (it was only half-assed cleaned afterward, not majorly disinfected), but I am still traumatized at the sight, so I may rearrange the livingroom and clean the refrigerator instead. Baby steps. Let's not overdue it. Those cleaning chemicals are toxic. Someday I will be glad I was slovenly.

Hey! I think I just thought of another affirmation!

I will do my part to save the environment and maintain my own health (thereby killing two birds with one stone) by almost never cleaning.

I think it works.

5 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger erynthenerd said...

Doesn't killing birds kind of negate any progress you might make on the environmental front?

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Ha! You clever girl. I can't get away with anything around here.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Good. That does make me feel better. Some people have their priorities right. (-:
I'm grumpy too. Or is it depressed? It's snowing.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger MJ said...

People who live here winter at the arctic circle.

The snow is staying on the ground and everyone is holed up. People who had come out of the woodwork when the weather turned warm to become joggers, walkers, nature observers are now nowhere to be found.

Yea. I think there's something in the air, too. I don't think I've ever felt quite this way in April before. And you are so right about teacher burnout. In the halls between classes the teacher next door and I attempt to hold each other together, but sometimes it's just impossible to not go over the edge.

I love eating sorrel in the spring. When it first comes up I tell my kids to close their eyes and I put a new green leaf on their tongue. They always say, "Mmmm! Sour! It's sorrel" It's like a spring tonic.

Did you get things brought in? How's that ear? Ear infections are not fun.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Too bad about those tomatoes. Dare I hope for a snow day tomorrow? That would be SO great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home