Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Snow Day Dreams

I step out of the shower at 4:30 this morning and hear the phone ringing. Heart pounding in expectation I bound out of the bathroom and grab the receiver with my dripping hand. I hear her sultry voice and without hesitation I express my undying love. I have missed her words of comfort in the early morning hours! We share fleeting glances as we pass in the school halls, but we have waited so long for a day like today, and my breath catches in expectation at her sleepy greeting. "I love you," I gush, and she replies, "No school today."

Yippee! It's Mrs. F, the teacher above me on the phone tree. "You know I love you, don't you?" "Go back to bed," she replies flatly, and I, ecstatic, throw on some sweats and head up to my little room, where AJ is passed out after watching The OC until 2am. I decide that it is a good time to explore other blogs, and I begin clicking on "next blog", passing site after meaningless site until I finally become really depressed after reading a blog by some old guys that live in Cancun whose lives revolve around a variety of women visiting them and servicing them with massages and sex. I find myself losing faith in the human race, so I crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head.

Suddenly I find myself in a big comfy old house in my hometown that has been turned into an entertainment venue. I wander around the rooms alone, and finally sit down in an inconspicuous spot adjacent to where the band will be playing. Other people are here too, but they don't notice me. I wander into the kitchen where the woman who owns the house focuses in on me, tells me I can live there. I obviously don't have anywhere to go, but it doesn't feel right, and I leave. I walk down the familiar road where one of my best friends in high school lived. Looking north across the flats toward the river tall cliffs have appeared. I am enchanted to see an elephant walking slowly on a high ledge. Stopping, I see a llama standing nearby. Down below in the tall brown grass another elephant slowly swings its trunk . I feel strangely comfortable in this beautiful landscape where all familiar perspective is skewed.

I wake up feeling groggy and take a cup of coffee up to AJ. We watch The OC and discuss whether Luke is hot or not. AJ says Luke looks like an elephant's ass. Sandy is a DILF and Marissa is a skanky slut monkey.

Snow covers the earth today, it bends the branches of the pine trees in the yard and cars slide through the stop sign at the corner. Kids, all bundled up, trek by carrying sleds, headed to the hill behind us. It seems that everything important in my life happens away from that place where I spend most of my waking hours. The weather channel was on in every classroom in my wing of the school yesterday, and in my classroom at least, teachers and students alike had their fingers crossed. God, I love snow days.

2 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I knew I loved you for a reason--I had two snowdays so far this week and I'm still holding hope for a two hour delay tomorrow. It's not that I don't love going to work (teaching), I just absolutely love snowdays! They feel sinful and overindulgent (especially when there's 12 inches of snow on the ground but the roads seem darn clear...hmmm).

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Snow days rock! I still am holding out (probably futile) hope for tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home