Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Goodwill

AJ says I'm obsessed with Mark Kozelek, but she should talk, she was the one who was "having his twins" after the concert! It is because of my love for good music that I am writing about him one more time. And the fact that I spent about an hour today looking for pictures of him on the internet certainly doesn't mean I'm obsessed. I'm just a visual learner.

AJ and I didn't conjure up too much mischief today. I watched the rest of the first season of The OC (OK. That's embarrassing). Then AJ made fun of me for about two hours after I misspoke and called it "The AC".

We spent a couple of hours at Goodwill, which is always good for keeping things in perspective. There was a mother with three cute little kids at the checkout, and the cashier was so nice to them. They wanted to wear their "new" coats, but the mom said they needed to save them for good. AJ always finds t-shirts and sweats (she wears them for dance) and today I bought a book called In Short: A Collection of Brief Creative Nonfiction. I have a goal that I will always feel comfortable shopping at Goodwill.

Which brings me to (guess who?) Mark Kozelek and his interview in No-Fi Magazine. He compares LA and San Francisco, and says that LA just isn't his taste, that "...everybody I know has a couple of houses and a couple of cars and nineteen year old girls who have three cars and a house in France. And then, up here (S.F.)…everybody is four people living in a flat and struggling and then down there (L.A.) it seems like everybody I know is…it’s like there is so much money and I don’t live that way. So when I’m down there, I feel...maybe a little bit of an inferiority complex or it’s like I don’t really belong…” He goes on to say, “... in San Francisco, amongst the people that I know, I’m one of the guys who sort of has it together a little bit. But down there, I feel sort of like I don’t really have it together, everybody around me has so much success and they’re just moving up this ladder...”

I really love this guy and his "born in the midwest, down-to-earth, struggling artist that hasn't sold out" persona. But what do you do when you are 40 years old, maintaining mid-level fame, can't afford to buy a house in San Francisco and are telling the audience to "shut up" at your concerts? This guy is so talented. He should be taken care of. Life isn't fair.

But isn't it interesting?

4 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Melina said...

He sounds great, I've never heard of him but I will be sure to check your "obsession" umm I mean, your talented artist out.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I happened upon your site today and I revisit tonight. I just found the following line in one of your previous posts: "Maybe it is that tossled little girl who looked up at me and smiled. She hasn't learned not to do that yet." A fine line. I've added your link to my own site.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Thanks, Ryan. I took a brief look at your site (getting ready to go to the salt mines), and will go back again. I have been pondering my escape from the midwest on the last day of school and one of your posts got me thinking about Key West and the possibility of experiencing a moment in my life "when every possible option is right". What a wonderful thought. I love the ocean. Sigh.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Melina- What's not to love about a guy who can sing an AC/DC cover (“You Ain't Got A Hold On Me”), which is totally about a guy who is unhappy with the way this girl is giving him head, and turn it into a sensitive love ballad? Now THAT's talent, plus his delightful moodiness-and his inability to have a long-term relationship...I'm probably the ONLY ONE THAT CAN MAKE HIM HAPPY!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home