Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Last Day

Conflicted, I sit on the pullout bed and listen to the cars on the pavement through the open window. Isn't it always this way on the last day? I didn't see enough, do enough. I didn't learn what I was supposed to learn.

I am sad and lonely and too old to be discovering myself.

Tomorrow I will stand before a classroom full of students and long to be here, in this livingroom, in this city, listening to the tinkle of silverware in the apartment across the way, the sound of a door closing on the floor beneath us, the perpetual hum of the living.

4 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Melina said...

Do you really think you can be "too old to discover yourself"? Could you imagine remaining the same forever? I can only hope that I keep finding myself over and over and that I'm dissatisfied with myself and my life every now and again (not hating myself or anything) so that I shake things up and make life interesting again. Reinvention is key. Sorry, I've been away from your blog for so long, I somehow lost my link to you--but now I'm back!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I have been thinking about that line in my post a lot since I wrote it. Moe says I am having a mid-life crisis. I wondered if anyone would come to my rescue with "hell no's!", or "fuck that's". I am glad you appeared to reassure me. I too believe that life is a constant process of rediscovery. People sometimes try to prevent change, but it's the only thing that's guaranteed. In our fucked-up culture as women age they are cast aside. I am at that age when I am doing some major redefining. And I have decided to be wise and beautiful and cool as hell. I'm gonna turn the tables upside down.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Melina said...

You already seem wise and cool as hell and I'm sure you're a stunner! Before you"turn the tables upside down" make sure you dance on them!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Amen, sisters in the cyber world. What intimate strangers we are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home