Saturday, January 22, 2005

Should I be worried?

I met an old college friend after work last night that I hadn't seen for years, and after we got over the averted eyes/ "you haven't changed at all" phase, it was a really fun evening. We talked a lot about the unusual liberal arts college that we attended as undergrads where a sort of "citizens of the fourth world" philosophy is still fostered.

Today I woke up at 4am as usual, showered, looked at some news, scanned some blogs, waded out into the mounds of snow that fell last night to start my car and then realized it's Saturday. It took a while to convince myself. I didn't want to believe I could be so scattered.

I thought it was Friday. I guess I should be paying more attention. Or something. Corralling my mind gets harder and harder. It drags its feet when faced with responsibilities that are supposed to be taken with utmost seriousness. Like professional development. Or meeting some departmental chair's demands for documentation of this and that. Checking voice mail from irate parents who expect a certain grade for their child. And listening to the meanderings of the principal as he wrings out every side of every issue out loud.

My mind will not concentrate during staff meetings anymore. Not since I first gave it freedom to roam wherever it wishes during those tedious bi-weekly sessions devised for staff torture. Perhaps that is where I went wrong. I never know what is going on. I always catch news at the last minute through the grapevine, which is a sort of challenge. I have always prided myself at being good at "winging it". A staff meeting in two minutes? No problem! I quickly grab a pen and notebook and I'm there, ready to draw pictures of sun and surf.

But to think today was Friday? To believe we had some kind of hideous staff meetings all day long? Didn't I hear hints of a day-long meeting? I guess the day of unbearable meetings is on Monday. God! This is the biggest hit I have taken in my "fake your way through your working life acting all the while like you are on top of things" method. I have actually turned the torture back on myself.

Should I be worried?

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger MJ said...

What a beautiful first line. You are wonderful.

And hey, it's really quite interesting and artistic living in this vague nebulous state.

Must go rent videos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home