Thursday, January 20, 2005

Priorities

Today is my second day off work for medical testing, which yesterday involved taking a capsule of radioactive substance.

The hospital tech, with another man watching him, brought out a large cylinder which he painstakingly opened and then slowly pulled from it a smaller cylinder, which he also unscrewed with some effort. He then slid a test-tube from that cylinder and with more struggle removed its cover. Motioning for me to hold out my palm, with gloved hands he silently tipped the test tube and a lone capsule fell into my outstretched hand. It felt like taking communion as I swallowed the pill with the little cup of water and the men standing above me, watching.

There were two scans yesterday and I have to go back for one more today. The whole thing reminds me of The Matrix, of course, only I didn't have my choice of pill. Remember the scene where Keanu gets in the car and they remove the "bug" from his body? I am now glowing green, but at least I have the day off. Is it sad that hospital testing involving radioactive substances would be preferable to going to work? That it would be relaxing and exciting in comparison?

Running up to my car in the parking ramp afterward, my foot slid on the icy cold concrete stairs and I fell forward into the edge of one step onto my kneecap, which HURT LIKE HELL! There was a woman passing me on the steps at the time and she was like, "are you OK?!" I hopped up and said bouncily, "I'm fine!" and strided on like nothing was wrong. I got to my car, fell into the seat and rubbing my thigh, worked through the HORRENDOUS NEARLY UNBEARABLE PAIN that lasted about ten minutes."

So I headed straight for Barnes and Noble, limped inside and bought myself Chronicles of Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao (which I have on hold at the library, but is taking much too long getting returned) and rented "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle". This made me very happy, even though I should have bought some boots instead.