Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Positives

Due to my dour mood of late, I felt the need to remind myself that there are good things in this fucked-up world, like

1.The Earth
2. Imagination
3. People who put other people first (real democracy)

I often forget to see the positives. When faced with crowds of people I tend to see a species that I don't like very much. Short-sighted, stupid, mean and all trying to crawl to the top and be king of the mountain.

Then once in a while I get a glimpse of something else out there. On a blog, (see Cookie's blog) or on TV, in a book, a piece of art.

Moe and I like to talk about "our trip" to France, and who will be joining us. She always includes Johnny Depp (we agree on that one) or perhaps The Rock, or her latest tattoo artist who (she says) is very cute! I add a couple to the list, like Mark Wahlberg or Robert Downey Jr, but my heart isn't totally there. I would really like to bring perhaps that lead singer from The Counting Crows, or the homeless guy whose camp is in the woods by the river, or maybe Cornel West.

I saw Cornel West on Book TV(C-SPAN2) a couple of days ago, talking about his book Democracy Matters. He is so out of the ordinary and not afraid to be unconventional. He calls us all out - to be different, unselfish, unresting in our critique of ourselves, educated to the workings of oppression, in dialogue about the hard stuff. He is putting himself on the line, and that is good.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude have planned an installation called "The Gates Project" in Central Park , NYC. It looks beautiful. I imagine the walk through it could be a life-altering event. A journey. An opportunity to change perspective, see things in a new way. This is what art can do. I plan to make a pilgrimage there in February.

Today I have hope for this fucked-up world.

1 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Cheesus Crust said...

Here we've got just as many people against what's going on than for it, it's pretty much an even divide, and if I have to I'll say what I need to get the point accross, and I would tell people that do hope for something better that I never pull punches.

People aren't as foolish and hateful as the press and politicans would like us to believe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home